There are two kinds of probation

Leucosticte

Administrator
When I was younger, and put on probation, the focus was, "You need to get some counseling to try to get your head straight, and meanwhile get a job, go to school, and do community service, so you get in the habit of being useful and stay out of trouble." My counseling sessions resulted in a one-page letter getting sent to the court summarizing my progress.

As I got older, when I ended up on probation, the focus was, "You need to get some counseling so that we can monitor your mental state, and meanwhile you need to stay home and do nothing, so that you're out of the way and not getting into trouble." They didn't want me going to school or work, and they didn't really want me to be going on the computer either, unless they had monitoring software installed on my machine (and even then, my using it would just create extra work for them, because they'd have to look at the screenshots, keystrokes, etc.) Also, my counseling sessions resulted in regular reports being made to the probation officer about my moods, thoughts, etc.; there was not as much confidentiality as in the past.

Really, this reflects the difference between the old and new kinds of penology. The old way was rehabilitation; the new way is incapacitation. The old way holds out hope that the offender can change; the new way assumes he isn't going to change and seeks to disable him from causing further harm.

However, one thing about the new penology is that when they get intrusive enough about their monitoring and punishment (since monitoring is a form of punishment), it can serve to goad the offender into re-offending or otherwise lashing out against his persecutors.

feminismiscancer

Staff member
Administrator
When I was younger, and put on probation, the focus was, "You need to get some counseling to try to get your head straight, and meanwhile get a job, go to school, and do community service, so you get in the habit of being useful and stay out of trouble." My counseling sessions resulted in a one-page letter getting sent to the court summarizing my progress.

As I got older, when I ended up on probation, the focus was, "You need to get some counseling so that we can monitor your mental state, and meanwhile you need to stay home and do nothing, so that you're out of the way and not getting into trouble." They didn't want me going to school or work, and they didn't really want me to be going on the computer either, unless they had monitoring software installed on my machine (and even then, my using it would just create extra work for them, because they'd have to look at the screenshots, keystrokes, etc.) Also, my counseling sessions resulted in regular reports being made to the probation officer about my moods, thoughts, etc.; there was not as much confidentiality as in the past.

Really, this reflects the difference between the old and new kinds of penology. The old way was rehabilitation; the new way is incapacitation. The old way holds out hope that the offender can change; the new way assumes he isn't going to change and seeks to disable him from causing further harm.

However, one thing about the new penology is that when they get intrusive enough about their monitoring and punishment (since monitoring is a form of punishment), it can serve to goad the offender into re-offending or otherwise lashing out against his persecutors.
Checking all your keystrokes would require lots of staff indeed lol.
Jokes aside, I wish I had been kept away from high school. That place was my worst nightmare and I'm still traumatised about it at 42. Normies who pretend to care about children only do if it's sexual "abuse". Otherwise they don't care. How I wish I was sexually abused rather than bullied, society would love me and care for me and hate and persecute my former tormentors. Now they don't, they tell me to man up and move on. This is why I'm so pedo friendly. I don't give a shit about the trauma children are supposed to have been through from sexual abuse because nobody gives a fuck about the trauma other children have caused me.